Here are some books I have already read in their entirety that I recommend for the questioner:
- Dance of a Fallen Monk by George Fowler
- Healing Spiritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experience by Ken Blue
- Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse, The: Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church by David Johnson
- Toxic Faith: Experiencing Healing Over Painful Spiritual Abuse by Stephen Arterburn
- Walking Away from Faith: Unraveling the Mystery of Belief and Unbelief by Ruth Tucker
Here are books I’ve read in their entirety, but recommend as secondary (but good) reading:
- The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith by Peter Hitchens
- Serene Compassion: A Christian Appreciation of Buddhist Holiness by Denise Carmody – this is one of my all time favorite books on Buddhism, written by a respectful Christian academic.
- unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity… and Why It Matters by David Kinnaman
Here’s my current reading list – comments? What other books should I look into?
- Amazing Conversions: Why Some Turn to Faith & Others Abandon Religion by Bob Altemeyer
- Atheists: A Groundbreaking Study of America’s Nonbelievers by Bruce E. Hunsberger
- Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist by Alicia Chole
- Generation Ex-Christian: Why Young Adults Are Leaving the Faith. . . and How to Bring Them Back by Drew Dyck
- In Search of Authenticity: finding yourself after losing your faith by Jamie Perez
- Leaving the Fold: Testimonies of Former Fundamentalists by Edward Babinski
- Quitting Church: Why the Faithful are Fleeing and What to Do about It by Julia Duin
- Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity by John Loftus
- Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary by Kenneth Daniels
- You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church…and Rethinking Faith by David Kinnaman
What have I missed?